Monday 19 August 2013

Sweet memories ... school holidays

We didn't go on holidays much as a child and if we did we used to go in a so called "vouw wagen" know as the camper trailer in Australia. My dad used to be a policeman, and a holiday was a very special event. We would set up camp in Renesse, a coastal town in Holland, about an hour and a half from where we lived. My older brother Bart and I often went rabbit watching, thousands of rabbits would hide in the dunes! My mum used to make a calendar before we left. We ended up with a long strip (14 to be exact) of guldens, which we could cut off on a daily basis or save. My brother Bart would use it daily on ice creams whilst I would save it until I had enough money to buy a toy from the camping reception. Hours and hours would I spend gazing at all the toys. It is funny to discover what little things made impact on you as a child which you never forget. With the school holidays fast approaching I wander what the kids take home from Halls Gap Lakeside. Will it be feeding the cockatoos, seeing the kangaroos,  swimming in the hot outdoor pool whilst it is winter, playing with Bubbles and Ruffles, climbing the Pinnacles, or buying lollies from reception?

No comments:

Post a Comment